[Development] How to create new Qt modules or tools

Robin Burchell robin+qt at viroteck.net
Fri Dec 9 13:06:21 CET 2011

Hi Henry,

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 10:18 AM,  <henry.haverinen at nokia.com> wrote:
> This page introduces the Qt Project playground (a low-barrier area for
> experimenting with new ideas), gives some naming guidelines for modules
> and tools, and documents the module repository structure.

Thanks for getting this started. I have two small points:

> Agree with a Qt maintainer that s/he will approve your new playground project

Can we agree that this approval should be done on development@? That
way, the discussion around the suggestion is visible and (if needed)
someone could raise concerns, point out areas of interest like past
research, etc. I don't think that would end up too verbose, after
alll, this shouldn't happen too often.

Having these on a list also mirrors the structure for approval nomination.

> Send your request for a new Playground project (including project name and description) to the Qt maintainer from whom you have pre-approval.
> CC to sergio.ahumada at nokia.com and Gerrit Expert Group (email address TBD).

I think I'd prefer to see this on an infra@ type list, again, so
people can keep informed (if they want), and there's no need to change
CCs and get outdated information over time. There's also then an
archive of this stuff happening, which is usually a good thing.

The rest looks quite useful & informative, will take a bit longer to
digest the technical content rather than the process bits. :)

BR,

Robin