[Development] Qt Commercial 4.8.0 release delta to LGPL version

David Faure david.faure at kdab.com
Mon Dec 19 09:40:44 CET 2011

On Saturday 17 December 2011 09:01:35 Craig.Scott at csiro.au wrote:
> On 16/12/2011, at 10:37 PM, David Faure wrote:
> > On Thursday 15 December 2011 11:21:41 Turunen Tuukka wrote:
> >> So now there is total of 108 improvements and bug fixes available in Qt
> >> Commercial 4.8.0 that are not part of the LGPL release.
> >
> > While I understand the reasons, I want to state that this is going to make
> > support a mess.
> >
> > Both versions are called 4.8.0, but do not contain the same code.
> >
> > So when someone says "With Qt-4.8.0 I have the following issue", it will
> > never be clear which 4.8.0 this is about, we'll have to educate everyone
> > to say in addition if this is 4.8.0-LGPL or 4.8.0-Commercial. Couldn't
> > the version number be different, when the code is different, instead?
> > E.g. 4.8.0c. That doesn't fit into the numerical QT_VERSION, but at least
> > qmake -query and every other location which shows a qt version number
> > (packages, qt creator, etc.) would show clearly 4.8.0c instead of 4.8.0.
>
> I'd actually prefer to *not* see fiddling with the version number format.
> That would just make it harder when creating automated scripts to build
> things and it can also break code that expects the Qt version number to be
> in the long established x.y.z form. Consider the common (recommended?) way
> to test for Qt versions in code:
>
> #if QT_VERSION > 0x040800
>     // ....
> #endif

As I said, this doesn't affect QT_VERSION.

I'm only talking about the string representation of the Qt version.

> What should this do for something like 4.8.0c? Better to not confuse things
> and to leave the version number as it was. In practice, I'd be surprised if
> there was much confusion caused by Digia supplying a customised 4.8.0 which
> includes just fixes. If people are using Digia's 4.8.0 version, I suspect
> they are also likely to report bugs they find to Digia instead of to the
> general Qt bug tracker anyway.

I disagree.
They will post questions to forums, to consultants, on blog posts, etc. etc.

--
David Faure | david.faure at kdab.com | KDE/Qt Senior Software Engineer
Tel. France +33 (0)4 90 84 08 53, Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090