[Development] My Android QhrisTma5 wish list.

BogDan bog_dan_ro at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 22 21:20:06 CET 2011

Hello everybody,

   My name is BogDan Vatra, I'm the guy behind Necessitas project (Qt port on
android), before I go further I want to express my gratitude for all of you
who worked, working and will work for Qt !

Lighthouse project made my life a heaven, without it this port would be very
very difficult to do it, but I've found a few missing pieces which prevents
us to create a fully featured port for Android. I'll list the most important
ones which need a little more time to investigate and implement.

 - Menus, on android the menu bar is completely different from other platforms
, it is always hidden, and to make it visible the user must press the menu
button. Currently there is no way to do it, because QMenuBar is a widget and
even more is part of your application window.

 - QMake build system. Android supports more than one platform bundled into
your application package (currently they are three platforms), android build
system compiles this platforms at once, sadly qmake build system doesn't
support this feature. QMake is ok for most of the platforms out there but for
Android it needs more love. Somebody blogged about a new  build system [1],
and I must confess that I was very impressed by the approach, but sadly, two
years latter, nothing happened ... This is a very important feature for this
port, without it we can never say we have a *complete* port for Android.

That's all folks,

Merry XMAS everyone!

From Romania with love,
BogDan Vatra