[Development] State of QtDeclarative (noob question)

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger at freyther.de
Fri Dec 23 01:20:56 CET 2011

Hi,

I am somehow stuck with the state of Qt Declarative and I wonder if I do
something very stupid, should use a different version/branch or what is
wrong.... For my MIPS target I have some rendering problems and now tried to
use QtDeclarative on my desktop.

I attempted to use qmlscene with examples/tutorial/gettingStarted/textedit.qml
but the gettingStarted appears to be still broken, so next I tried the snake
example but somehow the UI 'jumps' (New Game toggles visibility.. present,
hidden, present), okay I move to samegame as I remember someone told me that
is _the_ testcase. It displays nicely but somehow qmlscene is at 98% CPU
(explains that I see things jump) manually sampling with gdb shows it is in
the swrast of DRI/MESA (this is the GPU embedded in the i5).

(gdb) bt
#0  0xb19d7451 in ?? () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so
... same lib
#12 0xb19a71b1 in ?? () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so
#13 0xb7c6c4f4 in QSGRenderer::draw (this=0x850cff0, shader=0x813fb48,
g=0x850de84) at
../../../qtdeclarative/src/quick/scenegraph/coreapi/qsgrenderer.cpp:713

So I tried to go back to qmlviewer to at least have some quick1 display and
besides the warning about QGuiApplication/QApplication it would be nice if
qmlviewer would warn when someone tries to import QtQuick 2.0.

Please tell me if there is something obviously wrong with what I try to do?
What GPU do I need? Which ones are used by the developers? Should the
gettingStarted work? Should importing QtQuick 2.0 produce a (nicer) warning in
qmlviewer?

thanks
	holger