[Development] 16-bit PCRE landed in upstream master

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Dec 30 15:00:50 CET 2011

On Friday, 30 de December de 2011 13.40.09, Giuseppe D'Angelo wrote:
> 2011/12/30 Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com>:
> > This is due for release in mid-January, so Qt 5.0 could depend on the 16
> > bit API already.
>
> I'd like to bring the discussion we had on IRC yesterday on the
> mailing list. What are the people's opinions about whether it's "good"
> (for any value of good) for Qt 5.0 to depend on the 16 bit PCRE?

I think we should import PCRE into src/3rdparty (or equivalent "qtsupport"
module) and keep it there basically forever. While Linux distributions may
update soon to this version of PCRE, Mac OS X isn't likely to get a new
version until 10.8 in 2013 and Windows users will never have it.

At the same time, we need configure to support -system-pcre, with the
appropriate checks for the UTF-16 API.