[Development] Proposed solution to the ICU problem

lars.knoll at nokia.com lars.knoll at nokia.com
Wed Aug 8 16:15:22 CEST 2012

On Aug 8, 2012, at 2:35 PM, ext Konstantin Ritt <ritt.ks at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes. We don't want to continue or begin to carry our own Unicode data, CLDR
>>> and timezone database. ICU provides all of that.
>
> So, does this mean I should abandon my QUnicode* and QText* changes/branches?

Depends on what they do. I e.g. do not see a lot of value in us maintaining our own copy of the CLDR data. For basic Unicode data that we need to render text, it might however make sense to keep a copy if this makes a big enough difference in performance.

Let's just go through things and decide together where to best use ICU and where it makes sense to do our own stuff. But I'd like to see a decent justification for the places we want to keep our own data and/or implementation.

Cheers,
Lars