[Development] Choosing a new MinGW for Qt 5

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Aug 30 18:16:43 CEST 2012

On quinta-feira, 30 de agosto de 2012 17.25.24, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> There are more differences than that. There are differences in
> features, such as threading support, large-file support, etc.
> Mingw-w64 is usually ahead of any other in terms of features.

My suggestion on how to proceed is to choose one that offers the following or
most of the following:

 - most recent GCC (4.7 preferably, 4.6 if not)
 - *working* GDB and tested with Creator, with Python support
 - large file support, threading
 - zero-overhead exceptions (no SJLJ exceptions)
 - standard win32 headers, if possible using the Platform SDK headers
 - large set of win32 import libraries
 - 32 and 64-bit in one package
 - make with -j support
 - if this exists: can link to .dll directly, instead of import libs

We should choose one version to be the reference platform and work on making
it Tier 1. We shouldn't have two versions, that duplicates work.