[Development] Qt 5 beta

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Aug 31 14:29:20 CEST 2012

On sexta-feira, 31 de agosto de 2012 13.08.39, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> > So, I'd say that our position is: stop complaining and upgrade. If you
> > can't
> > upgrade, there's .gz and you'll pay the penalty by increased disk space in
> > your system.
>
> First: no, that is not true. We will store the upstream tarball as bz2 on
> the Community OBS anyway due to the debian tools and technology on the
> community OBS what we have.

It's your choice to unpack and repack.

> Second: premature disk space optimization is not a problem for us, but the
> RAM usage is. The small size has a price.

gzip has a smaller memory footprint than them all.

> Thirdly: The conversion is very slow in scratchbox which the developers use
> locally and also on the build server.

Don't convert then. Use the .gz file.

> Moreover, we have an open process for discussing development related issues
> on the development mailing list, and I would personally propose to have
> that for the release process as well.

We have that. But this was a minor issue. I certainly did not expect it to
become this major a sore point.

> I am sorry, but I cannot (and do not wish) hang around IRC all the day
> along, and filter for gerrit is suboptimal for community discussions. You
> could say the same for the development related topic, you just need to
> follow Gerrit, but this is not how the community decided back then about
> that process. I like the community decision about this very much, and I
> would like to see the same happening about the releases.

If you don't read all the IRC channels and follow all changes in Gerrit and
read all mailing lists, you WILL miss stuff. There's no way around that.

I'm not saying you should do that -- I certainly don't. I only expect that
major decisions get posted to the mailing list. Removing the bzip2 package was
*not* a major decision.