[Development] Linux Accessibility: qt-at-spi 0.2 released

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at nokia.com
Wed Mar 14 15:58:56 CET 2012

Hi,

the qt-at-spi bridge enables accessibility via screen readers for Qt
applications on Linux.

I'm happy to release the Qt AT-SPI bridge 0.2.0 into the world. Based on some
user feedback I could fix a few things. It's also nice to note that the Qt 5
version of the bridge is up to date and working even better since we could
make some improvements in the internals.

Changes since 0.1:
* Sent the right text for text insert/delete events when editing text
* Password line edits are marked as such
* Improved exposing of keyboard shortcuts
* Fix menus (again)
* Expose more action interfaces
* Some table/list improvements (hopefully)

And quite a bit of cleanup, as always.

Dependencies: Qt 4.8.0

What is that thing? A bridge that lets Qt applications interface with the AT-
SPI accessibility framework that GNOME provides. For users that mostly means
that the Orca screenreader should work nicely with Qt applications.

You need a distribution that uses AT-SPI 2 (check your packages, any recent
distro should do, this is part of standard GNOME).

The source can be found here:
https://gitorious.org/qt-at-spi

The commit you should grab is: a213019e84732da7fea5162f8c79ee42b8a3b576,
tagged
v0.2.0.

Or download the tar.gz from gitorious:
https://gitorious.org/qt-at-spi/qt-at-spi/commits/v0.2
$ sha1sum qt-at-spi-qt-at-spi-v0.2.tar.gz
3831060a970939461326cdf1a21fbed3feff4d67

The plugin for Qt 4 does not get loaded unless an environment variable gets
set, so there should be no risk of anyone blowing up their system.

In order to enable the plugin, export "QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1".

For Qt 5 this is no longer needed.

Cheers
Frederik