[Development] FYI: personal namspaces available on gerrit, aka where to put backups

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Fri Feb 15 16:28:02 CET 2013

moin,

another one from the "could have done this much earlier" ...

everyone has a personal namespace under refs/personal/$user/ in every
repository hosted on our gerrit. it's possible to create arbitrary
branch hierarchies in there. note that the branches are readable by
everyone, but writable only by the owner.

the easiest way to access it is using the qt/qtrepotools/bin/git-ppush
script (docs and examples embedded). otherwise you may need to read up
on git refs. ;)

this is meant primarily as a backup location for work in progress which
you don't want to bother anyone with yet (i.e., being nice to those who
have gerrit watches configured. also, you may want to keep your own
dashboard clean).

this is roughly equivalent to private clones on gitorious, except that
it lives on our own gerrit. you'll notice how much this is worth when
you push a rebase of a long-stale branch (i.e., lots of new upstream
commits since you forked).

gotcha: due to a gerrit bug, you need to amend a change you ppushed
before you gpush it. similarly, it's probably a bad idea to ppush a
change after gpushing it. i don't expect this to be a real problem, as
amending is part of the expected workflow anyway. but just in case you
wonder.

have fun (and don't spam the server too much ;)!