[Development] Enabling of QtDBus in Qt 5.4 and 5.5

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Dec 11 02:42:06 CET 2014

Dear all

My well-intentioned changes to unbreak the building of the OS X builds for
5.4.0 have apparently had unexpected consequences. After reviewing the
situation, I've created https://codereview.qt-project.org/101843 to fix the
issues (note: updates for Windows pending). Once that one is in 5.4 and merged
to 5.5, I'll submit another fix for 5.5 changing the configure behaviour.

configure option:		Qt 5.4.0		Qt 5.4.1		Qt 5.5†
 none				configure1	runtime		configure2
 -dbus				runtime		runtime		configure2
 -dbus-linked			linked		linked		linked
 --dbus=runtime		runtime		runtime		runtime
 -no-dbus			disabled		disabled		disabled

Explanation:
 * runtime: dynamically open libdbus-1 at runtime
 * linked: link to libdbus-1
 * configure1: check at configure time if libdbus-1 is present in the system
   and then enable "runtime" mode
 * configure2: check at configure time if libdbus-1 is present in the system;
   if it is, enable "linked" mode, otherwise "runtime"

In other words: starting with Qt 5.4.1, QtDBus will be enabled FOR ALL BUILDS.
The library is safe enough in dynamic mode that it will simply say that it
could not connect to the bus or peer, so it should not be a problem to have it
present.

†: unless we get the rewrite to drop libdbus-1 requirements in time for 5.5,
but I think it's unlikely. Maybe Qt 5.6.