[Development] Status of Qt3D in 5.5

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Mon Feb 9 14:55:29 CET 2015

Hi all,

Although we are closing in on a stable API for Qt3D there are still a few of
areas that we'd like to change/expand upon a little. These are:

* Mouse input. At present this is a bit of a hack (via a Configuration{}
element) used to get the mouse to control a camera. Of course the mouse may
also be required to control other objects and also to trigger picking
operations etc.

* Buffer/Attribute API. Currently we have a convenience method of specifying
geometry to be rendered but we have identified several use cases where this
falls a little short. Peppe is in the process of refactoring this following a
design review but is not ready just yet.

* Replacement for Threadweaver to allow commercial licensing. This is underway
thanks to Mika and is under review on gerrit at present.

* Few other rough edges probably warrant another quick API review to make sure
no big nasties crept in or are languishing in dark corners.

As these parts of the API are not finished just yet and the feature freeze is
today, I'd like to request that we ship Qt3D with Qt 5.5 having the Technology
Preview status. This will also allow us to gather a round of feedback from a
wider audience on the APIs we have which will be valuable before setting them
in stone.

How should we action this in practise? Carry on working on the dev branch or
move to the 5.5 branch and periodically merge to dev? Something else?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Sean

ps I'd also like to thank Laszlo and Konstantin for their efforts in helping
review and improve Qt3D. We've now seen Qt3D running on Android and various
embeded linux boards. I hope to get proof of it working on QNX and iOS
shortly.
--
Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Managing Director UK