[Development] Decrease amounth of delivered src packages

Jani Heikkinen jani.heikkinen at qt.io
Wed Feb 15 11:38:45 CET 2017

Hi all,

As you know we need to optimize our systems to be able to keep our plans in the future. In CI side we are handling at least 4 different branches at same time. Releasing side we should be able to do many releases/snapshots parallel, test those releases/snapshots parallel etc. And all this needs lots of hw capasity (both calculating power & disc space).

We are trying to analyze the places where to do optimization and one place is our src package creation and delivery: At the moment we are doing, testing & delivering single src packages + separate submodule src packages, all these with .zip, .7z, .tar.gz & .tar.xz! Huge amount of src packages/snapshot/release. And currently doing these both for enterprise and lgpl! In the future (5.10?) we should be able to use unified ones meaning no separate LGPL & enterprise ones.

But I think we could also drop those less used ones(*) as well with quicker schedule so I propose:

From 5.9 -> let's start doing & delivering

- One set of src packages with ẃindows line endings (.zip, both single one & submodule specific, both enterprise and lgpl)
- One set of src packages with unix line endings (.tar.gz, both single one & submodule specific, both enterprise and lgpl)

br,
Jani

*:Download statistic:
.7z      7%