[Development] Focusing bug fixes to 5.9 branch and patch releases during H1/17

Mat Sutcliffe oktal3700 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 15:36:07 CET 2017

The upcoming process changes are very welcome.

Regarding MSVC 2015/2017 ABI, I already opened QTCREATORBUG-17740.

At the risk of simply repeating what others have said, it feels
unsatisfying that a delay in the release of 5.8.0 should lead to a
shortening of the 5.9.0 release schedule, or that in general, a "time debt"
incurred by a delay in one minor release should need to be "caught up" by
stealing time from the subsequent minor release. It seems to be a symptom
of trying to make a parallel process fit into a serial structure.

Keeping 5.9.0 on schedule even while 5.8.0 blows past its planned release
date would seem to be appropriate when you have the capability to
concurrently maintain two minor (not patchlevel) release branches. In
retrospect it feels like a mistake to promise a strict six month minor
release cycle (implicitly/unknowingly at the expense of patchlevel
releases) if you don't have that capability yet. I look forward to seeing
those CI improvements.

"We plan, and plan, and then plan again. What we don't do is stress
conformance to a plan." - Uncle Bob Martin.

My two tenths of a cent.