[Interest] [Qt3D] Is it usable yet?

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Mon Dec 10 12:27:59 CET 2012

Hi,

On Monday 10 December 2012 10:59:23 BOUCARD Olivier wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> First, is this a good place to talk about Qt3D?

For use of it yes this is fine. For development of it development@ would be
better.

> This weekend I was playing with Qt5 and Qt3D.

Glad to see there is interest in this module :)

> So I built Qt5 and Qt3D from Git using the official documentation.
> And the result is that it is partially usable.

Yes that agrees with my experiences too.

> So my first question is: is Qt3D ready?

Short answer, no. As you say it is partially usable. However, there has been
some bit-rot as other modules have developed and Qt3D has stagnated given the
situation this year.

Longer answer is that we are discussing what we wish to do with Qt3d in the
longer term. As a result I cannot promise that the API will not change at this
stage.

If you have specific features you would like to see then please raise them in
JIRA or on the mailing list.

One major idea that we have had is to provide integration between Qt5 and
other scene graphs such as OpenSceneGraph and OGRE.

> I have two problems:
> 	* The big one is that when I try to use "Qt3D.Shapes 2.0" in my QML I've
> got the error "module "Qt3D.Shapes" is not installed" at run time. The
> module "Qt3D 2.0" is working.

There is a patch pending to fix this:

https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,40458

However, some other stuff needs to go in first to allow the CI system to
actually pass. There's a few other tidy-up's pending too. I will hopefully get
these sorted out this week now that devdays is over.

> * The small one is that the QML editor does
> not recognize the "import Qt3D 2.0" command (error "QML module not found").
> But the strange thing is that it recognizes the "import Qt3D.Shapes 2.0"
> commands. Any help will be appreciated.

Not sure about this one off-hand. I'll take a look once the other patches are
merged.

Kind regards,

Sean
--