[Interest] qt.conf like behaviour

Graham Labdon Graham.Labdon at avalonsciences.com
Fri Mar 16 17:06:58 CET 2012

Thanks
I now understand how it all works

-----Original Message-----
From: interest-bounces+graham.labdon=avalonsciences.com at qt-project.org [mailto:interest-bounces+graham.labdon=avalonsciences.com at qt-project.org] On Behalf Of Bo Thorsen
Sent: 16 March 2012 15:47
To: interest at qt-project.org
Subject: Re: [Interest] qt.conf like behaviour

Den 16-03-2012 09:30, Graham Labdon skrev:
> Hi
>
> My application is linked against several dynamic libraries.
>
> When I deploy my app these libraries are installed at known location
> together with the Qt Libraries
>
> I also deploy a qt.conf file so that the app knows where the Qt
> libraries are.
>
> My question is how does qt.conf work and is there a way of
> implementing something similar for my application libraries?

You can't control which dynamic libraries are used by setting qt.conf variables. You control stuff like plugin location. The dynamic libraries are linked to the application by the dynamic linker before the application starts up.

The usual way to do this on Unix is to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH before calling the executable. For this you need to have a script that is what the user starts.

On Windows, you can also do this, but I think you will often find that applications copy the necessary libraries to the application bin dir.

Bo Thorsen,
Fionia Software.

--

Expert Qt and C++ developer for hire