[Interest] Qt 5 Printer-specific options in QPrintDialog (Linux, CUPS)

Michael Weghorn m.weghorn at posteo.de
Fri Sep 11 12:42:53 CEST 2015

Hello,

I have a question regarding changes in QPrintDialog between Qt 4 and Qt
5. I am running Debian GNU/Linux with CUPS as a printing system.

Many printer models have printer-specific settings that are specified in
a PPD file.

When selecting a printer in QPrintDialog and pressing the "Properties"
button, further settings can be made for the print job.
In Qt 4, there was a tab called "Advanced" that contained all options
from the printers PPD file, making it possible to set all of the
printer-specific settings for the print job.

In Qt 5, that tab no longer seems to be there. (There is, however, a new
"Job Options" tab, which has different functionality). That means that
it is no longer possible to set all options that the printer provides
and thus make use of the device capabilites (like e.g. selecting a
particular input tray, setting a PIN for a confidential print job,
creating a booklet, ...).

The second screenshot on Qt5's QPrintDialog documentation page [1] shows
exactly the kind of dialog I am talking about (The window that has the
title "PPD Properties").
Therefore I am wondering whether there is possibly just an additional
option that needs to passed or whether other additional steps are
required to have these options displayed.

Or is this dialog not available on GNU/Linux and CUPS in Qt 5? Has it
possibly been removed in Qt 5?

Best regards,
Michael

[1] http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qprintdialog.html