[PySide] PySide - Qt5 - Swig

Fabien Castan fabcastan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 18:18:33 CET 2013

> I know a lot has been written on this thread, but I'd like to go back to
> the start since I may have been part of the source of the impression
> that it was important to rewrite shiboken.  What I said or meant to say
> is that it would be nice to move parts of the code generator to Python
> to make it easier to work with, but I did not mean to imply that it's
> impossible to work with as it is.  I have gone into the C++ code and
> made changes and it's not that different from other code generators I
> have worked with.

Ok, I could understand that.

I'm not enthusiastic about a rewrite using swig; it seems to be a lot of
> work for questionable benefits.

The main benefit could be to get a bigger community and concentrate efforts
on the binding rules, instead of working on a binding tool.

I think much of the work with PySide is
> writing a Python binding given the specifics of how Qt works so it's
> less about using a semi-generic tool such as swiq or shiboken and more
> about how Qt object lifetime works.

Yes, but users also need to bind their own widgets... And your widgets use
your core objects... so you need to use the same binding tool everywhere.
A generic binding tool could help for that.

I have not looked at Qt5 because the application I work on is likely to
> use Qt4 for the foreseeable future.  Does anyone on this list know what
> has changed and how much work the bindings are likely to need?

* changed how the project is splitted
* a rewrite of signal/slot with objects... which should be easier to bind
* function signatures...
* QDeclarative classes have been renamed
* ...
http://www.kdab.com/porting-from-qt-4-to-qt-5

PySide does need to transition into more of a community maintained
> project because the small group of developers who wrote it initially
> have gone on to other things (I think; my apologies if I'm wrong here).

 We do need developers who are comfortable working with C++ just because
> Qt is a C++ library, but we also need a more useful bug tracking system
> and better documentation.  My approach to helping out has been to do
> what I can to figure out how things work, to run code in a C++ debugger
> to find and fix bugs, and to contribute changes back.  I think the more
> developers who can help out, the better.

Yes, that's exactly my point. How to get a bigger community?

About binaries sizes:
In Release:
QtCore.pyd
- shiboken: 2 200 Ko
- sip: 2 103 Ko
- swig: 6 118 Ko
QtGui.pyd
- shiboken: 8 468 Ko
- sip: 7 500 Ko
- swig: 25 428 Ko

In Debug:
QtCore_d.pyd
- shiboken: 5 927 Ko
- swig: 10 325 Ko
QtGui_d.pyd
- shiboken: 26 825 Ko
- swig: 44 148 Ko

For people who see this email without context, these pyd use different
rules... so it cannot be seen as a global evaluation of each binding tool.

I just asked to swig guys:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=CAJQWia4HAj8v_DSgT4PCHxz%2BzKUExGGDH%3DxF1kcKK9bv1980%3DA%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=swig-devel

Regards,
Fabien