[PySide] PySide is Dead?

Nik Melchior nmelchior at seegrid.com
Fri Jan 18 20:21:24 CET 2013

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 10:50:24AM -0800, Dave Curtis wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2012, at 8:22 AM, Stephan Deibel wrote:
> > Dave Curtis wrote:
> >> Sorry this message has a somewhat negative tone.  I think this is a very healthy discussion and there is clearly a lot of enthusiasm for continued development of Pyside.
> >
> > To be honest I think you may be expecting too much if you require other people to step up and becoming management and make a roadmap so you can feel comfortable about PySide.  It's the unfortunate reality that PySide is somewhat orphaned right now but it's also true that there are users that are invested in it and some of us are trying to move forward.
>
> Yes, yes, I understand the situation and how open source works -- I've been contributing to open source for 30 years or so.  I'm just trying to be realistic here.  My own experience with Qt and Pyside are so limited that my effectiveness as a contributor will be sub-optimal -- looking at the  big picture, the world of open source is better off if I spend my coding ergs where I have more leverage.  So I am taking a users' viewpoint on Pyside. (I'll be the one asking n00b questions...)
>
> I do appreciate that there is a crew that wants to put their energy into Pyside, for which I am grateful.  I'm not looking for guarantees, I'm trying to figure out where the leadership will be coming from now.   "Nowhere" is not an answer that gives me confidence :)   I'm very new around here, but I'm sure the major contributors know each other and can make their own assessments of how much time they have to put into project guidance.
>
> > I have no idea how this will all shake out but like all open source it's going to be a question of whether there are enough motivated people with some financial resources to work on PySide.  I think there probably are but none of us are in any position to make guarantees.

While this discussion has been alternating between despair and hope, I've
taken matters into my own hands on a PySide ticket that I reported,
PYSIDE-130 [0].  I have a series of 2 patches to add pyside-lupdate support
for translatorcomment and lengthvariant fields in TS files.

What is the best way to get these changes incorporated?  A gitorious merge
request?  'git format-patch' to this mailing list?  Create a Qt account and
submit patches there?  How likely is it that someone with commit permission
will be able to review and sign off on my patches?

[0]: https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/PYSIDE-130

--
Nik Melchior
Sr. Roboticist       | 412-379-4500 x147

The information contained in this transmission is confidential, proprietary or privileged and may be subject to protection under the law. This message is intended for the sole use of the individual or entity to whom it's addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, distribution or copying of the message is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil penalties. If you received this transmission in error, please contact the sender immediately by replying to this email and delete the material from any computer.