[PySide] Fwd: Shiboken in python -- was PySide - Qt5 - Swig

Lucas Tanure ltanure at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 18:51:32 CET 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gustavo Carneiro <gjcarneiro at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Subject: Re: [PySide] Shiboken in python -- was PySide - Qt5 - Swig
To: Lucas Tanure <ltanure at gmail.com>

Hello,

I personally don't know anything about Qt internals, so I can't comment on
how difficult it will be to use PBG to wrap it.

On the PBG side, I think there is a core generator that is pretty good, and
can be hacked if needed.  There are some builtin customization hooks
already in it.  In the ns-3 project we have our own object system, and so
PBG had to be made flexible enough to support it.

The gccxml-based API scanner is not in such good shape, though, so I
wouldn't rely on it.  Mainly because the GCCXML project itself is not well
maintained: it does not keep up with upstream GCC, and so GCCXML will
simply produce compilation errors with newer stdc++ headers.  GCCXML does
not seem to have a lot of future, unfortunately.

Hacking PBG can be slightly complex in some parts, but still I think it's
considerably less than alternatives like Cython.  Not wanting to bash
Cython, I think it's a fantastic piece of software, but customizing it is
not so simple due to its complexity.

On my part, I have not spent much effort developing PBG lately, as I have
more pressing work to do lately.  I can try to answer some questions, but
don't ask any significant effort from me.  Otherwise, feel free to hack
away!

Hope this helps.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro