[PySide] Where is the port to Qt5 effort?

Stephan Deibel sdeibel at wingware.com
Tue Nov 5 17:44:50 CET 2013

Sam Carleton wrote:
> I have been using traditional Qt now for a number of years and ready
> to move into PySide in hopes of speeding up development.  The only
> catches is that I would like to be using Python 3 and Qt5.  The Qt5 is
> a bigger issue then Python 3, so I was wondering where exactly that
> effort was at this point in time.  Myself being a Qt developer, I have
> no problems getting into the internals and helping, just need to know
> a starting point.

As far as I know there isn't yet a currently active effort to support Qt5.

http://qt-project.org/wiki/PySide_Roadmap focuses on near-term work and
mentions Qt5 only as something in the future.  This is because the
current developers are mostly focused on using PySide with Qt4 for now.
I expect this will start to change over time but perhaps not that
quickly.  Working on Qt5 and/or Python3 support would be a great way for
new developers to get on board with contributing to PySide.  We do need
more developers.

Here's a list of issues for Python 3 support:
http://qt-project.org/wiki/PySide_Python_3_Issues (some of this may be old).

- Stephan