[Qt-components] QML component APIs and techniques

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 20:13:50 CET 2013

On Wednesday 09 January 2013, Zoltán Balogh wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> after a short but positive discussion on the #active freenode channel we
> [1] agreed to continue the discussion about QML component implementation
> techniques and APIs
>
> The objective is to
>
> 1. collect all concepts in various projects
> 2. explain to each other the pros/cons of the implementation
> 3. discuss about consistent QML component and common API set
> 4. bring the discussion to a higher level to understand each others
> visions of fundamental techniques

Hi Zoltán,
I'm happy this discussion is happening now ;)

Having investing quite some effort in creating a component set for Plasma
(desktop and Active) It makes me very happy a technology i care is finally
getting a lot of traction from multiple parties.

In the same time makes me a bit concerned as well: if we forget the old
symbian and meego components (that well, won't have a whole lot of future at
this point) we have at least 5 projects:
* desktop components
* plasma
* ubuntu
* jolla sailfish
* rim cascades

so, some interoperability here, at least api-wise would shine (or would smell
as missed opportunity otherwise ;)

Those 5 projects don't have a 100% overlap in their use case of course (and
they target radically different UX).
but I think there are many components that are "primitive" enough that don't
need at all any difference  API-wise (a button or a text filed are always
them...)

What i would suggest, is for each part to list here the components that we
would like to see standardized (or more generic things, like theming api),
then we can discuss them, move things in, move things out...

How does it sound?

Cheers,
Marco Martin