[Qt-components] QML component APIs and techniques

Bache-Wiig Jens Jens.Bache-Wiig at digia.com
Thu Jan 10 17:48:29 CET 2013

On Jan 10, 2013, at 3:18 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, January 10, 2013 15:02:25 Alberto Mardegan wrote:
>> On 01/10/2013 12:33 PM, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>>> once we have our list of targets, to then have someone (anyone, but
>>> someone
>>> who will help take this process through to completion :) take each
>>> component one by one in whatever order amuses them and start a thread on
>>> this list for that component. a wiki page for that component should also
>>> be started $SOMEWHERE[1] for each component to catch the results.
>>
>> Maybe we can reuse this:
>> http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt_Components
>
> sure.. that looks like a perfect place assuming that we won't be stepping on
> anyone's toes ... though it seems it hasn't had any activity for 6 months so
> perhaps there aren't any toes to step on ;)

Agreed. It is perfectly usable for this purpose. The page has been unused since the collapse of components for Meego And Symbian but since all of the proposed component sets more or less derive from these, it is clearly a good place to start. We should probably all use these names and conventions by default unless there are good reasons to deviate from them, in which case we bring them up to at least explain our reasoning.

And just so people are aware of it. We are planning to ship yet another set of components in Qt 5.1. They will be fairly general purpose but with the main intent being to offer a replacement for core desktop widgets in Qt Quick. However we are already adding certain things like PageStack to the set so making a general purpose mobile touch application using only built-in components would be feasible. I don't think they would ever be a complete replacement for any of the platform specific APIs, but they will be the only set that would be generally available on all platforms and might perhaps become a standard.

> the Component APIs table would be the interesting spot for us where we could
> link the individual API exploration pages from each component (Button,
> Checkbox, etc) as well as add new ones as needed.

Note that I have mixed feelings about API coordination due to having tried this before with Symbian and Meego and partially failed while spending an amazing amount of time arguing over small issues. And this is time that we don't really have available right now. When you have multiple toolkits developed by different teams for different goals, it is somewhat counter productive to force a common API on them. But I am optimistic that we can find at least some shared ground.

Did anyone look into standard icon naming? (which was oddly one of the bigger problems when co-ordinating meego vs symbian API).

Regards,
Jens