[Qt-components] QML component APIs and techniques

Alan Alpert 416365416c at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 01:02:01 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Martin Jones
<martin.jones at qinetic.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 2:48 AM, Bache-Wiig Jens <Jens.Bache-Wiig at digia.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Did anyone look into standard icon naming? (which was oddly one of the
>> bigger problems when co-ordinating meego vs symbian API).
>

> I suppose that typically these are exposed via an imageprovider.  If it
> really is too hard to name them all identically across all platforms then It
> may be easiest to simply define a set with a unique provider name, e.g.,
> "image://openicon/up_arrow.png", and allow each platform to provide an
> "openicon" imageprovider that maps to their own icons.

Note that there's a problem with imageproviders - they're tied into
the pixmap cache and so can only be used by QtQuick. You can't even
write a proper custom QQuickItem which accepts imageprovider URLs. It
certainly doesn't work with non-QtQuick component sets, like Cascades
(I almost suggested image providers to them, but then found out it
can't be done right now).

That doesn't mean the QtQuick component sets can't use image
providers. But they should be aware of the limitations and realize
that it needs some work in the long run. Image providers are the right
answer conceptually, but we don't have a good implementation right
now.

--
Alan Alpert