[Qt-components] QML component APIs and techniques

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 11:32:15 CET 2013

On Friday 11 January 2013, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday, January 11, 2013 09:22:00 you wrote:
> >   The Meego and Symbian components have a large API, so I think they
> >   should
> >
> > be used as a reference for naming the properties, rather than a starting
> > point for an API.
>
> while i agree that they have a lot to offer in terms of experience based
> results that we can use as reference, they are also dead platform with
> limited software available for them. if there is reason to diverge, the
> pre-existence of these implementations should not hold us back imho.

as a bit of background how those have been used developing the plasma
components:
we used them as starting point, moe the symbian ones actually, because they
were a more "minimal" set, and paid attention to implement just elements that
had the same api in the two platfroms (there is even still quite some of code
coming from symbian components right now)

so plasma components are pretty much a limited core of those.
we have also other stuff done afterwards, but is in another import to make
clear that was an extension.

(in turn there are some of those components i would see fit for the common
api, such as ScrollArea, but that is a future discussion that will come ;)

--
Marco Martin