[Qt-components] Validation of properties in the proposed Calendar API

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jan 23 11:01:11 CET 2013

On Friday, January 18, 2013 14:44:29 Mitch Curtis wrote:
> > I'm currently working on the Calendar component [1]. I'd like to consult
> > any interested parties regarding validation of its properties.

in addition to the locale property, it will be important (at least for our
audience) to have calendar system support. a lot of work went into making this
possible with C++ applications dealing with dates, it would be a travesty to
regress on this as we move to QML.

it would probably be easiest to put this logic into the model so it can
arrange the months and days accordingly for the calendar to simply display.

in kdelibs we have KCalendarSystem and on our Qt 5.1 TODO list the same person
responsible for KCalendarSystem is slated to do some work on qlocale/qdate, so
i'm hoping this will be a part of that ...

i don't even think one can assume there are 7 days in the week, though i could
be wrong on that point (it's been a while since i last had to use
KCalendarSystem directly :)

otherwise, it looks nice (apart from the unresolved issue of validation)

> The C++ backend mentioned by Alan is
> better, and I was going to do it that way, but Jens rightly said we should
> make something reusable

i don't know if this will always be possible if "reusable" == "deployable
without compiling anything". that's a nice goal, but will sometimes not be
achievable due to complexities.

in this case, why did you drop your (a) solution as innadequate?

--
Aaron J. Seigo