[Qt-creator] [Dev] Qt Creator Submit Policies

eike.ziller at nokia.com eike.ziller at nokia.com
Tue Nov 8 16:54:16 CET 2011

On 8 Nov 2011, at 11:48, ext Nicolas Arnaud-Cormos wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 November 2011 11:35:42 eike.ziller at nokia.com wrote:

>>> Personnaly, that's the solution I prefer this one, as it allows more
>>> people to discover the branch and maybe more people to contribute to it.
>>>
>>> If it's not the way to go, then the wip/clang branch should be moved.
>>
>> Sure, wip/clang will be made to follow whatever we decide on.
>
> We should probably move this discussion to the development mailing list, as it
> is the same problem for Qt.

I also grabbed Marius on IRC, and it looks like using "real" git branches was originally planned to be used for "feature branches" (as mentioned in http://wiki.qt-project.org/Branch_Guidelines)
I suppose we'll find out if it scales / if we need something that scales better.
Also, I've found out that the term "topic branch" is already used in gerrit for something different (== series of commits that belong together and should be reviewed as a whole).
The term used for Qt seems to be "feature" branch, so I'd go for that term for the Qt Creator "submit policies" as well.

So, trying to summarize :) we'd have the following:

Feature branches are git branches starting with wip/* in mainline on gerrit. Restricted to work that the respective maintainer agreed on would be something that could be merged into master later (if it manages to come into sufficient state). Maintainer has final "control", also about when a topic branch is removed again (after merging, or if it goes stale).

Other things have to go somewhere else for now. Maybe we'll have "personal" repositories/namespaces/whatever-you-call-it in gerrit at some later point.

--
Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer

Nokia, Qt Development Frameworks

Nokia gate5 GmbH
Firmensitz: Invalidenstr. 117, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, Berlin: HRB 106443 B
Umsatzsteueridentifikationsnummer: DE 812 845 193
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Halbherr, Karim Tähtivuori