[Qt-creator] LLDB support

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Aug 29 20:08:06 CEST 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 10:07:38AM +0100, Daniel Price wrote:
> I’m also desperate for LLDB support in QtCreator, or at a least some kind of
> patch for GDB.
>
> I’m using Creator with the clang compiler and Qt 4.8 and the GDB debugger is
> next to useless, so much so that it’s waste of time just firing it up. The
> helpers don’t work, POD and non-POD stack symbols are reported as ‘optimized
> out’ (even though I’ve disabled all optimizations), stack frames are
> mysteriously skipped and breakpoints jump around randomly.

So likely clang is producing different output wrt debug information than
gcc. It might even use a different implementation of the standard
library. The "helpers" are very specific to a compiler and a standard
library implementation.  It is not to be expected that this "magically
works".

> I don’t buy that Apple’s old version of GDB is to blame here as I’ve
> used it via XCode and the terminal for non Qt projects and it works
> well enough. It used to work ‘OK’ with Qt but since 4.6 it’s been a
> disaster (a LOT of Mac-specific regressions were introduced in that
> release).

Maybe the library implementation has changed in the meantime.
Someone with a Mac in reach might want to double-check.

> I don’t have the ability to re-build Creator myself so If someone
> could provide LLDB support in the form of pre-build plugin I would be
> very grateful.

The ability to re-build Creator is easy to aquire: Run

   git clone git://gitorious.org/qt-creator/qt-creator.git
   cd qt-creator
   qmake -r
   make

in a shell. Creating LLDB support in a prebuild plugin is likely
to be a bit more work.

Andre'