[Qt-creator] gerrit-speak

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Dec 14 20:26:42 CET 2012

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 12:15:42PM -0500, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> (Rethoric: should this go to a more generic qt list?)
>
> Hello
>
> (First a side question, is there a more consequent documentation about
> the use of gerrit?)
>
> Is it only me that finds the "-1" review default message in gerrit
> rather irritating?
>
> "I would prefer that you didn't submit this"
>
> reads to my brain much like "go f*k yourself" without the raw words.

It's probably not only you, but personally I see no particular reason
to not take this kind of standard text at face value.

The message is meant to transfer the idea that the reviewer would prefer
that the submitter didn't submit this patch, and expressng that as
"I would prefer that you didn't submit this" seems to hit the mark,
at least for me as a non-native speaker.

Having said that, I often add just a message without a score in such
cases. The only ugly thing is that these items then still show up
in bold on my review list.

A negative score should always be accompanied by a reason (and I
even appreciate a short message with a +1, such as "I only looked
at the code", or "Tested, works for me").

> "I would prefer that you didn't submit this"
>
> I get all the idea of the automating thing and all, and that machines
> have no emotion, but, if I don't miss something obvious (this happens
> to me though...) and if that message is configurable, how about
>
> "This requires more work"
>
> instead?

Would proabably work, too.

But isn't it strange that something that's formulated as a universally
true statement should feel less offensive than something that's
explicitly states as subjective opinion? Strange times...

Andre'