[Qt-creator] confused about QtCreators behaviour

eike.ziller at nokia.com eike.ziller at nokia.com
Fri Jun 1 14:20:24 CEST 2012

On 1 Jun 2012, at 13:43, ext Geronimo Ma. Hernandez wrote:

> Hello,
>
> after that very long discussion about buildsystems, I wanted to try out a
> qmake-project.
>
> So I used QtCreator with "new project" / QtApplication / Qt Gui Application
> and replaced all files created by the files from a Qt-demo from my system (qt
> 4.6.3).
> Project sources tree view looks very nice - exactly the way I like it.
>
> After hitting the build icon, lots of errors came up.
> I expected all running fine, since I did not change anything yet.
>
> I looked at the filesystem and there was no Makefile or the like.

Qt Creator does shadow builds by default if you don't turn that off on the second page of the new project wizard. I.e. by default it builds in a directory "projectname_somepostfix" that lies parallel to your sources.
That could be a reason for you not finding a Makefile in the project directory.
You can change the setting for an existing project in Projects mode > Build settings

Otherwise it's hard to tell what goes wrong without knowing what the errors say (e.g. from the Compile Output pane that you can pop up from a button at the bottom of Qt Creator).

Br, Eike