[Qt-creator] Show sidebar to the right in edit mode (patch)

eike.ziller at nokia.com eike.ziller at nokia.com
Wed Jun 20 09:44:48 CEST 2012

On 19 Jun 2012, at 19:05, ext Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:

> Wouldn't it be a better fix to make the sidebar a floatable, dockable window in general? There has been discussion about this sort of change previously, and

> I think there is consensus that float/dock would be a good idea.

I don't know why you think that there was any consensus ;)

Anyhow, that might even be true. But one of the biggest concern that I personally have is the (IMO useless) visual clutter that a dockable window approach usually adds. That's why e.g. the debug mode has a "locked" layout by default still with the option to adapt, which is a bit stupid as well. QMainWindow is unfortunately absolutely not up to the task, it's ugly, buggy, and unmaintainable :/ . If someone would write a replacement for dockable widgets that looked lean, worked and was maintainable...

> I guess I think that patching something in this way when we intend to change the behavior more generally doesn't seem like a good investment.
>
> Jonathan
>
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 6:56 AM, Ivan Tsybankov <tvano at mail.ru> wrote:
> Hello,
> I've recently tried to use qt creator in dual-monitor (5:4) configuration and
> found that default placement of sidebar is inconvenient since it either partly
> moves the code to another screen or just leaves too little space for the code
> on the first screen

I'm a bit surprised about that, usually projects have rules like maximal line width which reduces the usefulness of VeryWideEditors(tm). (And others set the editor to wrap lines, like vim.)
Or are you using the "split" functionality? In that case I suppose something like the patch that Konstantin pointed out goes into the right direction, though it would need to be a more integrated solution for "ripping" out whole editor views (incl. the editor combo box, editor tool bar, notification areas, and the editor manager knowing about it).

Br, Eike