[Qt-creator] Just discovered the new TODO plugin in trunk....

qt.dantec at free.fr qt.dantec at free.fr
Thu Mar 8 14:50:00 CET 2012

Dmitry Savchenko :

>with Qt Creator 2.5 and I’ll add ability to
>recognise both “TODO Some text” and “TODO: Some text” style comments into
>master.

Will you also consider the option, for non English speaking projects,
to recognize other keywords. In France, we frequently use AFAIRE.

Also, I have seen in numerous projects just the use of //TODO, without
a colon, or ///TODO, or //*TODO, or /**TODO, the point being that just
the C++ comment directly _before_ and contiguous to the todo keyword,
without anything _after_ the todo keyword but a space, is enough to
define the beginning of a todo statement. A simple way to implement
it, is to just scan the todo keyword immediately after the end of a
comment, until the end of the todo keyword, and to accept space as
legal part of a todo keyword.

Last but not least, some projects guidelines have priorities semantics
implicitly defined in the selection of a specific "TODO" keyword among
several accepted. Something like "TODO QT4.8.1" and "TODO QT5.0".

So it would be cool the have the capacity to add several different
todo keywords for the same project, on a project per project basis,
and sort out the different todo messages accordingly.

Better even, sort them according the a todo keyword associated
priority, with several todo keywords being allowed to share the same
priority, so as to simply deal with common mistakes in a large
project, such as some programmers writing "TODO QT5.0", and others
"TODO QT 5.0", or TODO Qt 5.0". It would also come quite handy when
different projects are merged.

For those projects that do not want (yet ?) to implement a todo
priority, a default priority will do fine.

Cheers,

Quentin Le Dantec.