[Qt-creator] Generating .pro file from a Makefile?

Murphy, Sean M. sean.murphy at gd-ais.com
Thu Mar 15 20:51:54 CET 2012

> In such cases I usually use a 'qmake -project' generated .pro for
> editing and
> exploration and the original build files for building. If you have a
> working
> Makefile, just removing the 'qmake' builds step from the build settings
> should be sufficient.

The part where "qmake -project" fails me in this cases is how the former co-worker has stuff laid out in different directories in an RCS repository:
-this project_toplevel
--src
---most of the .c files
--include
---most of the .h files
-completely different project A
--src
---some more .c files
--include
---some more .h files
-completely different project B
--src
---some more .c files
--include
---some more .h files

So it's tough to get "qmake -project" to work in this case, since the files are scattered all over the place.  The Makefile obviously knows where all the stuff is already via "-I../<path to project A>" include directives.  So since all I really want at this point is code readability, it'd be nice that when I'm following a symbol that's actually defined over in the project B source tree, that Creator is able to understand that.

Obviously I can modify the .pro file by hand to make that happen, I was just hoping for a way it could do it automatically from the Makefile.

Sean