[Qt-creator] Expanding a C string in the debugger takes forever?

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu May 17 15:11:00 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 03:34:27PM -0700, Bryce Schober wrote:
> Does anyone have any idea why it takes approximately forever to expand a C
> string in the debugger? Granted it is a char[10000], but seriously - 10k isn't
> much.

This takes 524ms over here (Intel core 2 duo, 2.4 MHz)

Is that "approximately forever"?

If your results are much worse, consider attaching the debugger log
(contents of the right pane of Windows->Views->Debugger Log)

[If you expand a char[10000] (i.e. really an array of 10000 chars,
not something that's displayed as C-style string), there are 10000
child entries of the form '{value="48",},' generated, i.e. closer
to 130k of data. Still not much, but I don't think the time is
unreasonable either]

Andre'