[Qt-creator] Some thoughts about 2.5

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sun May 27 23:25:48 CEST 2012

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 04:04:56PM +0200, Geronimo Ma. Hernandez wrote:
> Before I tried QtCreator, I heard rumors about QtCreator having the best
> debugging interface ...  so most probably my expectations where wrong.
> The point is - my first thought was - I did something wrong, so I tried to
> debug several executables. Let me compare it with kdevelop, which shows any
> accessible content from the same executable.
> With QtCreator the locals where shown by name, but when I click at the "+" in
> front of a composed type, nothing happens except the + changed with a -

I'd really like to see the debugger log. Something _is_ unusual here.

> > > - I read about hacking QtCreator to get some var contents ...
> >
> > Where did you read what?
>
> Well, I searched several forum threads and finally hit this page:
> http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtcreator-2.4/creator-debugging-helpers.html
> I only skimmed the page, but I said: No, not at all. I don't wonna spent my
> time on such items.

And you don't have to. It even says so in the third sentence

 "Using the debugging helpers is not essential"

Debugging helpers are used to e.g. display thinks like std::map as
as sequence of entries, instead of plain C structures containing
pointers, and they _can_ be used to do "really fancy things". Like
displaying image data in an external viewer, or displaying fuctions
in xplot or such.

You do not have to take care of the first case (std:: and Qt containers)
as there are like 80 of such beasts "built in", working "out of the box",
and you can simply ignore the second case if you feel inclined to do so.

> > If it doesn't work for you, then the appropriate reaction
> > would be sending a mail to the mailing stating your version of Creator
> > what OS and which toolchain you are using.
>
> Ok, I fetched the 2.5.0 binary (revision eadad258b9) from
> http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/qt-creator-binary-for-linux-x11-64-bit and
> checked the system requirements. Installation completed without error, so I
> expected everything to be ok.
> I'm working at debian stable with kde-desktop and gnu / cmake toolchain.
> I don't know much about toolchains, that's why I need an IDE.

Qt Creator won't protect you from knowing what you do. Maybe just sticking to
Netbeans is the best option in this case. You seem to know and like it.

> Ok sorry - I found the above article that incredible, that I got emotional.

[Well, I might even agree on the "incredible" part, but I am afraid
we might disagree on the direction...]

> But after all - you can take for granted: If I did not appreciate the state
> and the work of QtCreator, I would have written nothing.

Ok. Thanks ;-)

Andre'