[Qt-creator] Kit-Device relation

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at digia.com
Thu Nov 15 12:40:27 CET 2012

Hi Orgad!

Sorry for the delay in replying, I was busy with DevDays (great event by
the way;).

On 12.11.2012 10:17, Orgad Shaneh wrote:
> IMHO kits should only have device type. The device should be taken out
> of kit configuration, and be re-added in run configuration and in
> debugger dialogs (filtering devices by the kit's device type).

I see several use-cases here:

* Completely different devices (e.g. a android device and a Nokia N9):

   I think kits work well for this (as did the targets we had before).

* Similar devices with different settings (e.g. generic Linux
   device running ubuntu/x86 and one running ubuntu/arm)

   I think kits handle that well, too.

* Similar devices with different characteristics (e.g. some OS running
   on a phone and a tablet, maybe even two identical pieces of hardware
   running different versions of the firmware)

   I think having different kits for each of these makes sense here since
   it makes it very easy to switch between phone and tablet.

   You can avoid some rebuilding by having the build  configurations of
   the different kits share the build directory, which admittedly
   requires a bit of configuration to be done once.

* Identical devices (e.g. two phones of same model/firmware,
   a pool of test servers)

   There you can use one kit and switch the device used in its
   configuration. I agree that we should provide a fast way to do this.
   Currently this is a bit unwieldy.

There are still some rough spots in the kits, I readily admit that. We
will continue to polish it, but I am so far rather happy with how it
turned out so far.

Do you see additional use cases that I missed?

Best Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer - Digia, Qt
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Anja Wasenius