[Qt-creator] Kits in QtCreator 2.6

Diego Iastrubni diegoiast at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 17:30:59 CEST 2012

Hi List,

I just updated my local build of QtCreator and found that the build
process has been split into "kits". My random thoughts:

* I understand the need for this, but IMHO... way too complicated. Or
lack of defaults.
* From now on, you need to specify the full path for cmake on linux. WHY?
* When adding a new kit, the first step is adding a compiler. When
adding a new compiler, the GUI is smart enough to fill in the arch
details when you choose a full path... but IMHO you can even guess the
full path in Linux (on windows you might have some other defaults like
c:\mingw\bin, and %PROGRAMFILES%\intel\icc\whatever).
* The next step in choosing a kit is to choose a Qt version. Again on
unix, this can  be guessed.
* The next step is to choose a "kit" - a combination of compiler+qt.
Nice touch, again complicated, but nice.
* My problem with this workflow is that I needed to go from the
rightmost tab (the compiler), press "apply" and only then move a tab
to the next left tab. "It was hard to get for a minute, why everything
is ok... but I still cannot compile...?"
* A reset button for this whole thing would be nice: delete
everything, and detect whatever is possible.
* You still default to build using a single process. IMHO you can
detect the number of processors and execute add "-j $CPU" to the make
command arguments.

Just my thoughts in these 5 minutes of usage. Looks interesting, I
will be smarter after a week of use.

- diego