[Qt-creator] Kits in QtCreator 2.6

tobias.hunger at nokia.com tobias.hunger at nokia.com
Thu Sep 13 12:47:59 CEST 2012

Hi Diego!

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 12:32 PM,  <tobias.hunger at nokia.com> wrote:
>>> * From now on, you need to specify the full path for cmake on linux. WHY?
>> That is unrelated to Kits.
>
> Who cares, then ignore my email subject and we are on-topic again... ;)

True, what I wanted to say is "I don't know anything about that":-)

>> Looks like the detection of those failed for you, so you were out of luck.
>>
> This failed on my setup: Debian Testing, CLang + GCC, all from
> official repositories of debian. I think one of the triggers what
> update by Debian from Qt 4.8.1 to Qt 4.8.2. This is the reason I ask
> for a "panic button".

Debian usually just replaces the old qmake with the new one, so that
should not cause trouble to Creator. The name displayed might be
wrong, but that should be all that can break.

> Since I have both versions of QtCreator (2.5, 2.6 and master... 2
> versions...) I assume I can test this. I will re-test and report what
> exactly went wrong.

I would greatly appreciate this!

> QtCreator supports cmake and qmake. Both support for multi-process
> compilations.

There are enough projects out there that fail to build in parallel. This is
most often a misfeature of the individual project, not of the build system
used.

There are also make implementations out there that do not allow
for parallel built at all. nmake on windows is the most obvious example.

> If someone is using a stand alone Makefile (I did for a
> year on another non Qt related project, so from the user point of view
> I really know how QtCreator behaves), he will have to know what he is
> doing, lets ignore this scenario.

> Again - when using cmake/qmake: please add the default parameters to
> make. This makes compilation 4-8 time faster.

Yes, parallel builds do speed up compilation. Nobody is arguing that point:-)

I am arguing that doing parallel builds by default is the right thing since
it can break in many ways.

I don't want to get into a discussion how many processes to use to build either:-)

Best Regards,
Tobias

Tobias Hunger
Software Engineer
Nokia, Qt Development Frameworks

Nokia gate5 GmbH
Firmensitz: Invalidenstr. 117, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, Berlin: HRB 106443 B
Umsatzsteueridentifikationsnummer: DE 812 845 193
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Halbherr, Karim Tähtivuori