[Qt-creator] Qnx Plugin status for 3.0

El Mehdi Fekari mfekari at rim.com
Fri Aug 23 16:53:12 CEST 2013

On 08/23/2013 10:31 AM, Nicolas Arnaud-Cormos wrote:
> On 23/08/2013 10:09, Tobias Hunger wrote:
>> Hi Nicolas,
>>
>> On 23.08.2013 09:49, Nicolas Arnaud-Cormos wrote:
>>> Keeping Qnx and BlackBerry together is the same as putting the Qnx
>>> plugin in the Linux Remote plugin: it does not harm, but does not have
>>> any sense.
>> Then why do it if it does not cause harm?
>>
>> On the other hand new plugins do introduce some (usually small) cost.
>> Kai already explained why.
>>
>> In addition there is the cost of somebody doing the change and somebody
>> else (and that will most likely be me in the current setup) having to
>> review it. So far I have not seen an argument that justify those
>> investments of time and energy.
> Ok, then let's keep it as is, and move on.
>
> Thanks for the feedbacks,
> Nicolas

We had a discussion with Nicolas quite some time ago about the idea of
splitting the plugin, and the main purpose was to ease the maintenance
of the code and also have a cleaner architecture.

As for today, we often need to modify common Qnx/BB plugin code to
support new features in BlackBerry 10 (new NDK releases, #logging
system, #device management) which doesn't concern the pure Qnx
developers (who almost use 30% of the plugin's code) and most of
BlackBerry devs contributors are not touching the pure Qnx part.

But if you feel like this doesn't worth the split cost, then it's fine
to me to keep it as it is now.

Cheers,
Mehdi