[Qt-creator] [Fwd: Re: BareMetal Target Plugin Configuration]

Freddie Chopin freddie_chopin at op.pl
Fri Dec 27 15:38:02 CET 2013

Hello Jeandet!

First of all - thanks for the link to your file(s) - I'll check that out
soon - and thanks for your message!

W dniu 2013-12-27 14:47, Jeandet Alexis pisze:
> In my understanding the run setting is the place you start your gdb
> server with all the options (gdb port address), a good feature could be
> to add it automatically from a wizard or the Bare metal plugin.

Hmm... I still don't get it...

Under the term "gdb server" I usually understand things like OpenOCD, so
the software which connects to the real hardware (somehow) and exposes a
GDB port on the other side. OpenOCD has to be started from "outside" of
QT Creator (I guess one could use the "external tools" for that, but it
does not matter).

The question I have is - how do you configure/start debugging? Because
the settings of the kit (GDB port and address, "monitor reset halt" and
"load") for now seem to be completely useless to me, so I'm sure that
I'm missing something here... If I start debugging with "connect to
remote gdb server" I have to input the settings again and probably use
gdb_init script to actually flash and reset the chip. If I try to start
debugging with "run" it obviously doesn't work, because Qt Creator tries
to "exec" the .elf file on my PC... Maybe that's because I use really
basic project with Makefile (created as "import existing project")?

Maybe someone could post screenshots of the place you configure the
debugger (but not just the arm-none-eabi-gdb executable in global
options of Qt Creator), because all the descriptions I've seen so far
semm verbose in the easy part and when things get harder there's just a
single sentence... Or some template configured project (I don't know if
you can export that easily) would also be great! The exact model of
target chip does not matter.

Thanks for all your help!

P.S. If you find some of the names of Qt Creator's options which I used
above confusing, that's because I use version in my native language.

Regards,
FCh