[Qt-creator] Control over jumping text caret position to text separators

Peter Pearson peter at thefoundry.co.uk
Thu Jan 3 16:29:26 CET 2013

Hi,

Is there any option in Qt Creator (2.52 on Linux) to change the way the
main text editor allows you to jump the text caret position
along/through words?

It used to be the cast (pre 2.2 or something) that holding down Ctrl and
pressing the left/right arrows would jump to the next word after a space
or special character, but I think 2.3 changed this to stop the jumps at
camelcase words, so if you have the following code:

LightPositionSamples samples;

It used to be possible to start at the beginning of the line, hold down
Ctrl + Shift and press the right arrow key and select all of
"LightPositionSamples" to replace it. It's not so easy now, given the
camel case stopping, as the caret stops at P then S.

Similarly, if you have a member variable called "m_integrator"
you can't select the whole thing, it stops at the "_" and "i" characters.

On top of that, there seems to be a bug with this which means that if
you have the line from above:
LightPositionSamples samples;

and have the caret after the space, and hold down Ctrl and backspace, it
doesn't stop before the space and deletes the "Samples " part instead.

I can't see any options in the Options dialog to control this - am I
missing something, or is it worth creating a feature request / bug?

Thanks,
Peter Pearson