[Qt-creator] Behavior of .pro.shared files in QtCreator 2.8 beta

Orgad Shaneh orgads at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 08:19:33 CEST 2013

בתאריך 2013 6 21 09:02, מאת "Orgad Shaneh" <orgads at gmail.com>:

> בתאריך 2013 6 21 08:54, מאת "Epting, Thomas" <thomas.epting at stryker.com>:
>

> > Hello Tobias,
> >
> > Thanks for your answer!
> >
> > I already had a look at the code and found nothing wrong about it at
the first glance. However, even a very simple .pro file (working well with
QtCreator 2.7) seems to have no effect anymore in QtCreator 2.8 (built this
morning).

> > [myproject.pro.shared]
> >  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> > <!DOCTYPE QtCreatorProject>
> > <!-- Handcrafted -->
> >
> > <qtcreator>
> >
> >  <data>
> >   <variable>ProjectExplorer.Project.EditorSettings</variable>
> >   <valuemap type="QVariantMap">
> >    <value type="bool" key="EditorConfiguration.UseGlobal">false</value>
> >    <value type="int" key="EditorConfiguration.IndentSize">7</value>
> >    <value type="int" key="EditorConfiguration.TabSize">6</value>
> >   </valuemap>
> >  </data>
> >
> >  <data>
> >   <variable>ProjectExplorer.Project.Updater.FileVersion</variable>
> >   <value type="int">12</value>
> >  </data>
> >
> > </qtcreator>
> >
> > Regarding the kit IDs: Yes, we have ensured that the kit IDs are the
same on all our machines. So there should be no issue with them (and
there's actually none with QtCreator 2.7).

> > Best regards,
> > Thomas

the shared and the user file, bring up the one with the lower file version
to the higher on, merge the settings of the shared settings with the user
settings and then proceed with upgrading the merged settings to the newest
version of the file.

> > It will *not* write into either the .shared nor the .user file, but the
.user file will later be overwritten by other code. The .shared file will
not get changed though. This is by design: We do not want to some people
that will work with the latest and greatest from the master branch to
upgrade the .shared file, making it unusable for anybody that is using a
stable Creator from the Qt SDK or your favorite linux distribution. You
will need to update the .shared file manually once you are sure everybody
has upgraded.

> > There is no need to have the environment id in the .shared file. Each
user will have his own anyway, so that should never apply.

> > Having targets in a .shared file is tricky (the .shared mechanism was
meant for the editor settings only): That will only ever work if you have
kits with the same ID (which is usually generated randoml!) for _all_ your
users. You might also need toolchains, etc. to be identical (incl. the ids,
which is the tricky part again). The only way to do that is basically to
use the sdktool to set up all the kits for all users. So did you do that
with the QtC 2.8 beta? If not, then the kits will be dropped and you might
get a warning on the console.

https://codereview.qt-project.org/#q,status:merged+message:SettingsAccessor,n,z

> - Orgad

A faster query: