[Qt-creator] CMake and Macros

Daniel Teske daniel.teske at digia.com
Mon Mar 11 12:29:08 CET 2013

On Saturday 09 Mar 2013 00:22:35 Peter Kümmel wrote:
> Could someone please test if the macro detection works for cmake projects
> on Windows?
>
> I filed a bug report but it seems it's not reproducible:
> https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTCREATORBUG-8864
No, that is not the problem. The problem is that you do write bug reports that
are just a waste of time. And I'm no longer willing to invest a lot of time
per bug report to figure which parts of your bug reports are completly
misleading and should be ignored, and which parts actually describe the
problem.

There is indeed a problem with macros, but your bug report makes it impossible
to figure that out.

Let's start:
- Your title of the bug report claims: "compile flag detection is broken"
The actual bug has absolutely nothing to do with compile flags, nor does your
CMakeLists.txt contain ANY compile flags at all.  So this part of the bug
report is misleading.

- Then you write:
"Parsing flags.make fails:
On Windows there file is at
CMakeFiles/foo.dir
but creator looks for
CMakeFiles/all.dir/flags.make"

Now this is apparently you trying to read the code, or testing some code. And
it turns out that you did that wrong. The code is reading the right files, and
thus this portion of the bug report is again misleading.

"And when using the ninja generator there is no flags.make at all."
Which is completly irrelevant to the regression.

Now, so far, there has been zero mentioning of MACROS in your description.
This is going to change, since your next sentence is:
"Reverting 20cfccd75 helps."

That actually is correct, but since you never actually succeded in even coming
close to describing the actual bug.

You wrote a bug report which didn't even contain anything that come close to
mentioning the actual regression.

Amazingly you manage to actually describe the problem now in your email.

daniel