[Qt-creator] Creator 2.7.0 RC stopped working

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at digia.com
Fri Mar 22 08:57:12 CET 2013

On 21.03.2013, at 22:43, Alexandre LAURENT <pro.laurent.alexandre at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Nikos, Ziller and other readers,
>
> Is there a point to allow the disabling of the plugin, if it is so essential in the build process of your project ? I mean, as described here, it looks essential (needed), so why the Qt Creator itself does not avoid the user to disable it ?

Some people would claim that QML support is essential for a Qt IDE, some people obviously don't. Some people want to use Qt Creator only for developing their Makefile based projects (and don't find the Qt project manager essential), others….

BUT. If you want to really ensure that you always have a working Qt Creator: Do not turn off plugins. We don't guarantee binary compatibility between Qt Creator versions, and we also do not guarantee that plugins will not have changed dependencies. And we can not "officially support" turning off arbitrary plugins, because we cannot test the various possible combinations. The only tested Qt Creator is the one with all non-experimental plugins turned on. Anything else is to be considered an expert tweaking feature, only use if you know what you are doing, and if you use it be prepared to face the consequences.

That said, we could probably invent mechanisms to warn users if dependencies changed, etc, but I seriously don't think it worth the effort.

Best regards, Eike