[Qt-creator] designer plugins

Coda Highland chighland at gmail.com
Thu May 16 20:54:45 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Uwe Rathmann <Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 May 2013 17:15:43 +0200, Daniel Teske wrote:
>
>> Have you read the manual? It has answers to all your questions:
>> http://qt-project.org/doc/qtcreator-2.7/adding-plugins.html
>
> Qwt has several 100s of downloads every week with users of any level of
> knowledge. It doesn't matter if I know how to install a plugin myself -
> the fact is that a significant percentage of the users fail and the Qwt
> support channels are full of installation problems - regardless of the
> hints above.
>
> You can ignore this situation with a RTFM - like I do it since years
> myself - or accept that these problems exist and try to improve something.
>
> @Adam: isn't the situation similar with Qxt and how do you handle it ?

The situation is exactly the same for us and we don't really try. We
ship a MSVC2010-32 binary plugin when we ship binaries, but since
we're one of those projects that's in eternal alpha with no real
release cycle, it's usually a matter of just telling people to build
their own. And since as far as I can tell our tools are used more for
the non-widget components than the widget components, it doesn't
really feel like a priority for us.

If I ever get around to overhauling the codebase like I've been
meaning to for ages, I'll probably make our designer.pro check the
mkspec and pop a warning if you're not building on Windows against
something that isn't MSVC2010-32.

/s/ Adam