[Qt-creator] Why not separate Open File from Open Project?

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Mon Nov 11 11:13:30 CET 2013

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 12:01:00AM +0000, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> I wonder what's the rationale behind single "Open File or Project" command.
> Why not to have two separate commands in the File menu?
>
> If I have my.pro project loaded, I can't use CTRL+O dialog to open
> my.pro file for editing, because Qt Creator complains:
> "project already open".

yes, this is often highly annoying, especially if you "accidentally"
open a huge project (qt.pro anyone?).
the dialog should have a checkbox or a second button to open for editing
only.

> So, I have to navigate to the my.pro in the Projects sidebar.

the file manager view (alt-y) does the exact opposite: it opens for
editing only and there is no way to open it as a project. that one
should be easily fixable with an appropriate context menu entry ...