[Qt-creator] Required conventions (was: Documentation for plugin development)

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Nov 26 12:05:03 CET 2013

On 26 November 2013 10:50, Daniel Teske <daniel.teske at digia.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 November 2013 10:43:24 Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>> On 26 November 2013 10:10, Tobias Hunger <tobias.hunger at digia.com> wrote:
>> > * Please make sure to follow the coding style.
>> > http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/qtcreator-extending/coding-style.html
>> > has the details.
>> > (...)
>> > There usually are lots of misplaced * and & chars in newly
>> > submitted code, too.
>>
>> Or, one day, Qt will drop its C with classes heritage
>> and allow folks to apply C++ semantic and emphasize actual type
>> instead of syntax of declaration as C folks do.
> That isn't the reason. The reason is that it makes the * or & stand out more.
> Humans pay more attention to the first character of a word thatn to the last one.

That proves thinking in terms of syntax, instead of semantic.
Simply, write down declarations {const} pointer to {const} object,
or reference to {const} object, read it and see if you really see what you read.

As I said, I'm not going to discuss it in details.
I just made auto-therapeutic expression of those annoyances :-)

Let's leave it for a talk over beer, should we meet at a conference or
hackaton :)

Best regards,
--
Mateusz  Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net