[Qt-creator] Dev: 3.0 soft API freeze, soft string freeze, updated schedule

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at digia.com
Wed Oct 30 11:53:57 CET 2013

It's a week from the 3.0 beta, so it's about time for:

1) soft API freeze:
See the new backward compatibility policy here:
http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/qtcreator-extending/coding-style.html#binary-and-source-compatibility

Quoting the relevant part for this time:
"Starting shortly after the beta release of a minor release, we start keeping backward source code compatibility within that minor release, including its patch releases. This means that from that point, code that uses Qt Creator API will compile against the API of all coming versions of this minor release, including its patch releases. There still might be occasional exceptions to this rule, which should be properly communicated."

2) soft string freeze:
Start keeping the translatable strings as is, fix remaining important issues but don't go wild.

3) updated schedule:
Since we released the beta one week later than anticipated, the other dates move too:
* String freeze wk43 (~Nov 5)
* RC wk45 (~Nov 19)
* Release wk47 (~Dec 3)
(see http://qt-project.org/wiki/Releases)

Br, Eike

--
Eike Ziller, Senior Software Engineer - Digia, Qt