[Qt-creator] External tools: linking to line in source code in General Messages output pane

achartier at fastmail.fm achartier at fastmail.fm
Tue Apr 15 20:01:21 CEST 2014

Hi,

I have noticed that when a Q_ASSERT statement fails when running an
application in Qt Creator, Qt Creator kindly makes a link out of the
file/line number where the failure occurred in the Application Output
pane. This is very helpful, as one can click on this link and it jumps
you to the exact line where the Q_ASSERT is.

I am working on integrating an external tool I have developed into Qt
Creator and would like to enable similar source file/line number linking
functionality. Since the output of this external tool is displayed in
the General Messages output pane, it would need to be linkable from that
output pane. Is this possible? If so, is there some special syntax I
need to use when outputting the linkable text using qDebug()?

On a somewhat related topic, is it possible to use ANSI escape codes to
color-code the output from my external tool in the General Messages
output pane?

Thanks!

Alfonso