[Qt-creator] Best practices in managing kits (build&run settings) department wide

Orgad Shaneh orgads at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 09:35:39 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 3:00 PM, Liebe Markus (RtP2/TEF72) <
Markus.Liebe at de.bosch.com> wrote:

>  Hi there,
>

>  we are using QtCreator for quite a large code base here.
>
> It is a big .pro project hierarchy with loads of referenced .pro files.
>

>  We are developing on Linux machines and have several build hosts which
> we use to compile the same code on different systems.
>

>  Our setup allows us to ssh into one of the build hosts (the home
> directory magically moves there, too - because it is NFS mounted on the
> build hosts) and issue qmake / make there as we would locally.
>

>  Thus we achieved the remote build.
>

>  Concerning QtCreator:
>

>  To use the described remote build, we have to customize the build steps
> in the used kit.
>

>  Command: "remote.ssh" ( a script that does the ssh for us )
>
> Arguments: "buildHostDescription qmake -r make"
>

>  Now we are able to start QtCreator on our workstation, hit "build" and
> QtCreator uses remote.ssh script to logon to the build host described in
> "buildHostDescription" and calls qmake -r and make.
>

>  The build issues etc. are filled as if we were on the local machine.
>
> This works quite good.
>

>  The problem we are facing at the moment is that the BuildSteps are
> stored in the .pro.user files.
>
> As far as I know the kits in contrast are stored in the users
> .config/QtProject/<somewhere> directory.
>

>  At the moment we are using .pro.user files that are managed via version
> control as well.
>
> Each developer has to get the same .pro.user file to get the selection of
> predefined Build Configuration.
>
> This is very hard to manage, because the .pro.user files are quite large
> and contain (for our case) a lot of noise.
>

>  I would like to be able to define "common" or "shared" build settings,
> that can go with the version control and can be used by all developers
> without having to manage the complete ".pro.user" files.
>

>  The same applies for "Toolchains" and "Kits" in general.
>

>  Btw. I have already tried to achieve this with .pro.shared files - but I
> did not succeed.
>

>  Can you give me a hint on how to achieve this?
>
> What are your recommendations?
>
> What are your intentions as developers of QtCreator on how to correctly
> use the kits in a scenario as described above?
>

>   Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
>
> *Markus Liebe *
>
> Robert Bosch GmbH
> Automotive Electronics,
> Software Development (RtP2/TEF72)
> *www.bosch.com* <http://www.bosch.com/>

   - You need to have the same kits (including their IDs) in all
   workstations.
   - This includes the following files from %APPDATA%/QtProject/qtcreator
   (or ~/.config/QtProject/qtcreator):
      - debuggers.xml
      - devices.xml
      - profiles.xml
      - qtversion.xml
      - toolchains.xml
   - Rename pro.user to pro.shared, remove EnvironmentId and add it to the
   repository.

- Orgad